Special Evolutions Training
(Navy Specific Maneuvers) : Four-hour modules using the Kongsberg Polaris V2 simulator system for practice and/or assessment for U.S. Navy bridge watchstanders and ship control personnel.
- Topics include Pier Work, Underway Replenishment, Working with Tugs, Contact Management, Plane Guard, Harbor Transits, Tactical Maneuvering, Man Overboard, Low Visibility Navigation, and others. A complete listing follows.
- Class size is limited to six students. Instruction is primarily intended for conning officers, but most scenarios include training opportunities for other key personnel such as helmsmen.
- Class format is approximately one hour for classroom instruction/review, and three hours of simulator time.
- In general, for Special Evolutions training to be most effective, it is recommended that the four-hour modules not be broken apart so the students can focus on a single topic. For example, experience has proven that the students will get more out of four hours spent on pier work than they will two hours on pier work and two hours on UNREP.
- To enhance training, commands should provide their own materials that are associated with the requested training topic: paper charts, plotting tools, maneuvering board paper, signal book, plane guard SOP, voyage plan, etc. These materials are in very short supply or are not held at the NSST facility.
- When requesting special evolutions training, be as specific as possible in completing the training request form. If training topics have not yet been selected, enter "TBD" for the topic.
List of special evolutions